Monday 30 November 2015

JAM ROCK!!!


The Global Citizenship and Learning Equity Program in Jamaica was hands down one of the best experiences of my life. As I have always loved working with children because of how innocent and impressionable they are. So when I came across the GCELE literacy camp for children I knew that I wanted to be a part of it.
 
When we arrived Jamaica we got to stay in The Oasis resort, Negril where I made a lot of new friends from various colleges all over the world. Majority of whom I bonded with and look forward to hanging out with in the near future.
 
I learned a lot about the Jamaican history as well as the culture as I immersed myself in the culture and I also tried my best to learn a little patois. In general, Jamaicans are nice and friendly always willing to offer a hand whenever they can.
 
 
In addition, I also got the opportunity to meet some of the most intelligent and resilient kids ever who despite whatever they were going through will always show up for camp the next day with excitement and optimism to learn. It broke my heart when we had to leave the kids after a week but I was able take solace with the hope that we had a stirred a fire within the children that can never be burnt out.

At the end of the GCELE trip, I gained life skills such as Adaptability; learning how to not over think things and go with the flow. I also honed my team work and problem solving skills. This was definitely an experience I will not forget in a hurry.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment